Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Toothpaste Follow Up

Check out my previous post: "Opening a can of...toothpaste"

We just saw a pediatric dentist who saw both girls at the same time. I stayed in the closet about our stance with flouride and just observed what they did. The girls did really great!  Kept mouth open, didn't fidget - pretty amazing actually.

At the end of the visit, I was given a overview of their teeth condition.  Faith had a tiny bit of tarter and he expressed concern about her overbite (She is a passionate thumb-sucker).  I asked about Gracie's overbite because she sucked her thumb until she was almost five.  The dentist said that Gracie's teeth were fine and he didn't see any overbite.  Hmmmmm...... So Gracie stopped sucking her thumb before her permanent teeth came in, and after a little over a year, her teeth are in perfect alignment.


I love the fact that my girls sucked their thumbs - they never lose it (like a pacifier) and can comfort themselves at night without the mommy (that's me - in my bed sleeping :-) ).  But I was concerned about eventual braces. Wouldn't it be cool if God designed us that way?  That the thumb is a gift to the tired mommy and if kids give up the habit earlier enough, their teeth naturally go back to their proper position?


I mentioned this (at least a paraphrase) to the dentist.  He was certain that teeth didn't go back on their own. Well, Gracie hadn't been to "this" dentist before, but she had been to others.....all which warned me about her overbite.  Yup, the overbite that no longer exists.  Maybe a unique occurrence....but certainly something that God did.

The hygienists encouraged us to definitely use fluoride toothpaste on Faith and begin adding a fluoride rinse for Gracie.  They've never had more than a teaspoon of fluoride toothpaste in their whole lives... and no cavities.  I think we're going to stick with what we've been doing :-) ...maybe floss a little more often...


Love,

2 comments:

Debbie said...

My dear Elizabeth sucked her thumb until age 6 (she was late cutting teeth too). She had a HORRIBLE overbite and an open bite until she was around 14 ... she saw an orthodontist for a consult every 6 months and each time he would say, "I think with time it will correct on its own." So we waited. Interestingly, her brother who sucked on a pacifier (I was young and ill-informed!) was the one with the braces for 3 full years! Elizabeth never needed braces and has a beautiful smile.

Carra said...

Isn't that cool? It is nice to hear an official dentist that does say that things can correct with time. Thanks for reading the blog. Ready to star in another post?