Thursday, January 21, 2010

Anniversary Apple Pie

Yesterday was our ninth wedding anniversary. It was somewhat somber because the miscarriage began exactly one week ago. We had dinner with the girls here at home and caught up with "24 " (after the girls were in bed!) and talked. We reminisced about our wedding day and the things we have experienced since and about our future - imaging what God has in store for us. It was a very low key anniversary but a good one. It's not the "how" but the "who." I am so blessed with an awesome, godly husband. I haven't been anywhere so I didn't buy him a card. But I showed him love in a way that has been consistent throughout our marriage.... I cooked :-)

Apple (or Pear) Pie (either works - I've done both)
Homemade Pie Crust for 9" pan (I'll share my recipe soon I hope)
5 cups of pears or apples pealed and sliced thin
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 tbsp plain flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp softened butter
Roll out your crust and lay into a 9" pie pan. Combine the rest of the ingredients and spread over bottom crust. Roll out the top crust and pinch the bottom & top crusts together. Poke a generous amount of vent holes across the top of the pie. Bake @ 450 degrees for 10 minutes, reduce temperature to 350 and bake another 35 to 40 minutes.

I highly recommend serving this hot with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. We had Breyers. I know - it has sugar! Honestly, we've really fallen off the "no sugar" wagon in recent months. Tasty food can be a welcome distraction when you're sad, tired or stressed. It seems like we've been in constant rotation of those feelings for about 8 months. I'm praying for strength and wisdom as we try to get our family back on a healthy groove. Thanks for stopping by!

Love,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so precious! thanks for sharing about your life good times and hard times :) His steadfast love never ceases :)

Knappsters said...

Hope Preview weekend went Awesomely! I like your dress in this picture too!