Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Risky Reno Reveal (& blog party)

Ultimate Blog Party 2010

I'm going to the party! I've never participated in a blog party before but this one sounds really fun! I might even put on some swanky shoes LOL.

Okay, to paint my 120 +/- years old dresser was risky. But I have to say, I am really pleased with how it has come out. Once again, here is the before:

This is a "nearly natural" project. I used Olympic black flat paint which is zero VOC, but because of the type of use- it needed a protective coat.

I read the labels of every kind of polyurethane and just could not justify bringing that into our home. What I found was a compromise product. I used "Polycrylic" made by Minwax. It still has some chemicals but substantially less than the true polyurethane.



I love the result! What do you think? BTW - just in case you had any delusions about me being "together," the reflection in the mirror is a stack of laundry to fold and two bins of tights & frilly socks to sort. At least the room is now painted.

Love,

5 comments:

M.J. said...

Cara I love it!! I'm a furniture painting woman myself and I use the poly stuff too and feel the same way. I'm a total green nut to the max. so glad I found your blog!!! Love how it turned out!!!

Candace H said...

Oh, Carra, it looks wonderful! We've recently put my grandmother's pie safe in our dining room and I've only been able to clean it with Murphy's Oil soap and some wood polish... am afraid I'll do something to mess it up! ♥ your blog makeover too!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Your makeover looks soooo GREAT! Hope you have a FUN week:)

Blessings,
Linda

I’m having a GIVEAWAY…come by and check it out…I think you will like it!

Pamela M. Kramer - A Renaissance Woman said...

usc 47
1105
Hey Winner!
You need these numbers to complete the prize form on the prize page - http://www.5minutesformom.com/ultimate-blog-party-2010-prizes/

Lisa said...

The dresser turned out great! Congrats.

When we had the interior of our house painted three years ago, the guy used low voc by Sherwin Williams. I was amazed at how little smell there was.

I wasn't aware that there was zero voc out there. I'll definitely get that next time.