Thursday, October 13, 2011

Confession #13 - Slow cookin' - life's little joys

I'm crock pot obsessed. Do you see in photo that I have not one, not two...but three crock pots running simultaneously?
I'm not picky about my rice, so one has brown rice. The next has a roast bought from my local farmers' market. The third (on the stove) has black beans.
Black bean soup is awesome!  My children eat it plain, with cheese, with tortilla chips and sometimes rice.  It has got to be one of my favorite super easy, super cheap go-to lunches (and it has starred as dinner too!).

Black Bean Soup
(this is a take off from a recipe of a lady I worked with back in my days at the library - yep I worked for a library system for almost 10 years. Next week you'll hear more about what happens in the stacks).  Here's my version:

Half a pound of dried black beans
Fist full of leeks (onions if you must LOL)
Two cans of tomatoes (or if you are blessed with family that cans or you can your own veggies, put in one quart jar of home canned, home grown tomatoes)
1/2 tsp of basil
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne (more if you're daring)
Cover in a big crock pot and cook on low overnight.  Your house will smell yum in the morning!  Add some salt to your taste preference. 

My favorite?  Scooped into a bowl with a dollop of sour cream and a scandalous amount of diced local vine-ripe tomatoes and a few tortilla chips crushed over the top. My daughters like to have it with cheese on top and  scoop it up with blue corn torilla chips.  Many days (like the last few I've had a stomach bug) my hubby is just excited I made food!

Love, Carra

No comments: