Thursday, October 20, 2011

Confession #20 - I rested on a Thursday


Sometimes I realize I am desperately tired.  Sometimes Pete notices that I am desperately tired.  I remember Sundays as a child.  We got up, went to church, came home and ate a big lunch with one of my sets of grandparents.   I don't remember doing much else.  Maybe driving over to visit some older friend of the family.  Played outside, read books, played with Barbies.

It has changed so much.  Sundays have just gotten so....busy.  There have been weeks on end where I just "had to" work.  The house was a mess and needed help, hopelessly behind on laundry, programs to get the kids to, snacks to prepare, ministry stuff to do. Well it has been a while since I've had any semblance of a "day of rest."  I usually think, well, this Sunday I'll really try to get everything done on Saturday so I can really have a day of rest.  If it doesn't happen, well better luck next week.

Well today I got up feeling like I was walking through mud.  I cleaned out the van yesterday because I was horrified by the idea of someone seeing the mess to find the spare.  I had a flat tire yesterday at UNCG but gratefully parking services was able to inflate it to I could get home.  Whew, near miss.

So when I got home, I started cleaning out the van.  The contents of the van are in my kitchen.  The contents of the leftovers to put back in storage from the Fall Retreat are in my hallway. The contents of outreach materials for the next round of campus events are in my den.

So Pete said this morning, let's take thsi day of rest.  We had already canceled our regular staff meeting because we all worked the whole weekend with Fall Retreat.

Rest? on a Thursday?  with the house looking like this?  Somehow God gave me a peace about it (and the heart to submit to my husband).  It has been lovely.  I made brownies.  I fell asleep on the couch.  We all read together as a family.  We canceled homeschool for the day.  Scandalous... and desperately needed.

Now maybe I have the energy to tackle the mess of clutter of items entering and exiting my home...but not until...tomorrow.

Love, Carra

No comments: